Sunday 12 June 2011

Nothing fancy about it

When did it become the thing to buy, rather than make, your child's fancy dress costume? The boy and I went to a 'do' today to raise funds for the local maternity hospital, and the fancy dress parade sported only one homemade costume (and thus to my mind only one contender for a prize) - a rather fetching Dalmation puppy, otherwise known as Leo. The judges were not of like minds. What would they have made of the line up of rag-tag costumes sported by myself and my class mates at an infant school fancy dress in honour of the Queen's Silver Jubilee in 1977? Presumably not much. Bah, bah, humbug.

1 comment:

rach said...

This gets me annoyed too. Whenever it's a costume day at school, pretty much all the outfits are bought. I realise people don't have much time to play with, but it can't be that hard to adapt something that's lying around the house...Millie's last Angelina Ballerina costume just involved cutting 2 ears out of felt and then attaching them to a headband she already had. And then a bit of mascara for a nose/whiskers...